Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Personal Learning Network (PLN)

PLN-1Image by cobannon via Flickr



Reblog this post [with Zemanta]


The acronym PLN was introduced to me during our course Learning through Technology. Prior to taking this class I had never heard the term. I had heard of Twitter, but really had no experience or knowledge about it. In addition, I had heard of Blogs, but never really "followed" a blog and certainly never posted one!!

I am amazed at the vast resources for information available to us today. In the beginning stages of developing a PLN, I now have human resources available too. I feel following my classmates on Twitter has built a greater sense of connectedness. Having a network of people who share similar professional interests a click away is a valuable asset. Information sharing can be as simple as one exchange I saw this week, "help does anyone know how to unlock a cell phone" to as complex as introducing new technologies or at least new to some of us. I like Professor Chamberlain's suggestion to assume something is new to others too.

I realize at the early stage of being a PLN participant, I don't have a vast amount of experience to share. Another classmate discusses this in her blog as well. I think over time I will become a more valuable piece of the puzzle. For now, I am trying to share things I have discovered. After seeing others posts, I have learned its not such a great idea to post..ordinary/mundane details of life. I have decided to "unfollow" some already.

As far as who to follow; I am following a few blogs. I have discovered a lot of great resources there. And I am following a few more individuals on Twitter. My strategy is so far to take it slow. I can easily be overwhelmed with all the information coming at me instantaneously!! As I gain experience, I think adding more individuals to follow will come naturally over the course of normal exploration and learning.

4 comments:

  1. I agree with you about feeling more connected to other classmates by twitter...it takes away some of that initial awkward exchange and we get to know eachother without being forced to. We are all in the same situation and it's kind of nice knowing that. Nice post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree about being new to PLNs and not being able to share back the experience, where others might be able to lend more us more advice. I'm also concerned that PLNs can be quite time consuming and just another reason to sit in front of the computer and join another darn network...as if we don't have enough to do! On a positive note, I agree that posting information and assuming no one knows nothing about the subject matter is also helpful. I'm not quite sure as to whether or not I have a solid opinion about PLNs yet. I guess more time and experience will tell.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you made me realize why i have not been as excited about a PLN as i feel i should be...i feel that i have little to contribute. you managed to keep me upbeat about the situation that i should continue to utilize it to the best of my ability and hopefully with more time i will all be able to share things with others.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, look at how far you have come in the last seven weeks! Looks like this course has been extremely valuable to you already. I agree about letting your PLN grow slowly, following your learning curve. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete